Usually a couple would only seek counseling when they come to realize their relationship could be at risk. By this time the problem has become deeply entrenched that it’s almost impossible to save the relationship. It would take a great deal of effort from both the individuals involved and a lot of time spent with their therapist.
Most people would rather stay in an unhappy marriage or partnership rather than going to a therapist. They attach a social stigma to counselling. However, what they fail to realize is that counseling is sometimes the only way to save a failing relationship. Plus counselling is not only for couples who face problems. In fact it’s great for new couples as well. it helps each person understand the other’s perspective because they talk things out in the open. Instead of bottling up feelings of fear and anxiety, the outlet therapy provides can have numerous benefits.
According to research a couple generally waits around four to five year before going for therapy. Couples usually start facing trouble after the initial romantic period of their relationship is over. If counselling is sought at this time, it can help prevent problems from developing. The longer one waits to go for counselling as a couple, the odds get higher.
Going to a qualified therapist or a counsellor can help in all of the following ways:
- Improving ways for communication. Couples who seek therapy together find it easier to talk out their issues and problems. Instead of bottling up their feelings they rather get everything out in the open.
- Sharing opinions and idea in a healthy manner. Even if one of the individuals is in disagreement with the other there are more healthier and peaceful ways to approach the issue.
- Conflicts are part of any relationship. It should be important for a couple to resolve that conflict in a positive manner.
- It is important that both individuals in the relationship have an open and healthy attitude. They should be accepting of each other’s flaws and should allow for any short comings the other person might have. It is generally important to accept one’s partner for who they are.
- People develop better relationship skills. This means that issues or conflicts which at a certain time might have seemed unforgiveable become easier for a person to accept.
- It can help create a better understanding with your partner. The ability to be kind and considerate of one’s partner can help resolve many issues. This understanding can be built slowly with the help from a counsellor.
Despite so many benefits which a couple’s therapy has to offer so many people think twice before contacting a therapist. Even if at some point a person believes that it’s too late to save their marriage or relationship, therapy can help to a certain extent.
Couple’s therapy has helped numerous people deal with issues in their relationship. If you are seeking counselling in Gold Coast, make sure you contact a reliable and trusted psychologist.